Tuesday, September 6, 2011

DESIGNER SPOTLIGHT

Hi there all, and Happy Monday to you.


Today is my day in the spotlight, so i thought i'd repeat my post from TGF blog here so no-one misses out. 


How much did you enjoy the SPECTACULAR SEPTEMBER BLOG HOP last week? Aren't the stamps all AWESOME, and how about the DT samples? I always love seeing all the different projects everyone comes up with.


 


At the moment i am enjoying experimenting with hair colors, in particular, different hair colors that are a bit "out there". Last week i colored CREEPER LULA, and had lots of comments asking how i colored her hair. For those who missed seeing her, here she is...


 



So i thought i'd give you a mini-tutorial on how to color this groovy-looking hair. I'm not clever enough to video myself coloring, so i have taken lots of pics along the way. Let's get started.


 


The first pic is of Creeper Lula with her ringlets colored blue. I have left her fringe blank so that i can show you step by step how i color it.



 


The second pic i have started by coloring with C1 in the area of her fringe that will be the lightest. I decide where to have my highlights by thinking about where the light source is, and where her hair would be shiny in real life.


 




Next i have taken C3 and colored from the upper and lower edges of her fringe in a flicking motion towards the centre. I follow the lines of her hair that are already on the image so that the strokes look like hair. I'm not too fussy here as i know that i can add more hair lines later.



 



 


In the next two pics i have added C5 and C7 in the same manner, with each darker color flicking less distance towards the lighter area. You can see how her hair is starting to look 3 dimensional already.




 



Next i have added C9 in the same manner, and then a few brushstrokes with C5 to give the look of strands of hair.



 






So, there you have regular black hair.(which by the way, has no black in it, only cool greys)  Now, in order to transform it into any funky color you like i go ahead and color right over the top of the entire area i have just colored in whichever color i choose. Today i have used BG13, as i have a particular designer paper in mind that i would like to use.




Last but not least, a quick splash of color all over to finish her off, and a paper-pieced headband and we have a pretty cute CREEPER LULA all ready to pop on a card for someone special.



 



Speaking of someone special, i will be making this LULA into a card that i will display on my blog tomorrow. If you are the someone special who would like to win my card, then make sure you visit my blog tomorrow to see my card, leave a comment, and become a follower of my blog if you're not already.  I'll then choose a random commenter to send my blue-haired LULA card to.




 




I hope you have enjoyed my mini-tutorial on HAIR, and have a fabulous week of craftiness.




 




TRACEY XO.





7 comments:

  1. That is so cool! Now I will have to try it. I am new to copic and am still collecting colors...need C7 & C9 still...pouts*. Love the way the color seems to reflect back...very comic book like. Thanks for sharing your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial, always try'n to improve my coloring Tracey, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tracey. I love your tutorial! Her hair is just spectacular! I love it and I can't wait to get Lula when I get paid. She is at the top of my wish list. lol... Great great coloring as always. I am already a follower of yours. Love your work. Hugs, Lisa G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing the final project Tracey :O) Love the BG13!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!!! Thank you so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tracey, I absolutely love your tutorial because I'm in dire need of help with black hair! Great job, can't wait to try it your technique! If I could, you know I would be first in line for your awesome card...but alas, it's not in the cards for this fellow farmer. (Yes, that was an intentional pun!)
    Denice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tracey, Thanks for sharing this coloring tutorial because I need all the help with highlighting and coloring in general. Your card is just great. Loved the way you colored her hair. TFS.

    ReplyDelete